Wednesday 23 April 2014

Reclaiming my Body


I don't exactly know when it started or how long it's been going on, but finally my body has told me enough is enough. It’s given me warnings, plenty of time to change but now that’s got to stop, or else.
As you get older, I know your body changes. My mother has informed me several times that the body gets new lumps and bumps, wrinkles and sagging.  It’s part of the ageing process, I know this. All you can do is accept it and move on.
And I totally get this. Really I do. Smile marks and laughter lines are a sign of a life well lived. But in recent years I have found it difficult to accept one thing; that now, well into my late twenties, my body cannot cope with the diet and lifestyle choices that are typical in the western world.
 I should have been in the best of health. In recent years I've drastically cut down on consuming alcohol, have my eight hours sleep, don't smoke and eat good hearty meals. But the Tale-tale signs began to show that my body was not receiving the tender love and care it deserves.  Gaining weight around my abdomen, modelling pasty, dull skin, brittle hair and suffering from constant tiredness have led me to look at what I'm putting into my body.
However, when tackling nutrition, I really had no clue where to start. I mean, if you go by the news Everything gives you cancer these days, it’s hard to distinguish between well founded science and, if you excuse my language, utter horse shit.  I wanted to know why my body was doing the things it was and how to stop it.  I asked some health-wise friends and was recommended two books.  By reading 'Escape the diet trap' by Dr John Biffa and 'beauty from the in inside out' by Dr Libby Weaver I got a bit of a reality check on how much work my poor body was having to go through with the crap I feed it. Most damaging of all was refined sugars and processed foods. No surprises there... but the effects of carbohydrates were. I was brought up to believe cereal was a healthy option and 'low fat' was good for you. If these books are to be believed, we’ve all been duped and I do not like being made a fool of. I can do that all by myself thank you very much food companies!

And so, I've been making some changes, testing out ways to live a little more healthily and bring back my zing.  Using myself as my very own guinea pig I've testing out a heap of healthy life options and am busy finding out what works for me.  Although losing a little tummy flab would be grand, the main goal of this is to improve my energy levels and safe guard myself from disease in later life.  This is not a journey to look like the bizarre ideal body in western culture. It will also not be a story of cutting out food amounts or saying goodbye to unhealthy, yummy things forever.  I love foods, especially sweet things. I also love caffeinated drinks and I a number of alcoholic beverages.  But I want to make them an indulgence, not a staple.
 It’s a long road ahead trying to kick habits that have lasted a lifetime, but I hope with a little bit of patience and dedication, I can reclaim my body and feel fabulous again. I'll be getting back to you with what I try and test, so watch this space…
Has anyone else out there felt like this? If anyone out there has any health tips on improving energy levels (tips on taking up a cocaine or speed habit left aside) or if there's a super food you swear by, please let me know!

No comments:

You might also like:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...